Tuesday, March 2, 2010

This is the first day of my Blog and another snow storm blows into the Carolina’s. When is spring going to arrive? I would love to fire up the grill but with the icy conditions and chill in the air I think something more like comfort food is in the plan for dinner this evening.


Since I don’t want to run out to the market I am going to forage around in my fridge and pantry to see what I can whip up.

Here we go, on Sunday I cooked a 6 lb turkey breast in my crock pot and whipped up some gravy. Hot turkey sandwiches with green beans. Perfect for a cold winter evening.

Basic Hot Turkey Sandwich Recipe:

Per person:

1 or two slices of wheat bread on a dinner plate (I prefer wheat bread much healthier than white bread)

Heat up the gravy in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes or pour in a pan and heat on the stove over medium heat.

Layer the turkey on the bread slices and cover with gravy

Heat for 1 to 2 minutes in the microwave for a nice warm sandwich

Green Beans- I prefer fresh but I stock frozen and canned green beans

Cook green beans per the directions on the package

Click on your iPod or CD player and enjoy your favorite music (Preferably something soothing) while you enjoy some comfort food and watch the snow fall.

Spring will arrive soon, we hope!

Here’s my recipe for slow cooked turkey breast and gravy:

Ingredients:

• 6 to 7 lb turkey breast (thawed if it was frozen)
– Consult the cooking instructions for your crock pot to make sure the turkey breast will fit and cook properly

• ¼ yellow or white onion chopped

• ½ cup chopped celery

• 1/4 cup of Chicken stock

• 1 tsp of dried rosemary

• Dash of salt and pepper

• Coat the crock pot/slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray

• Rinse and dry off the Turkey breast

• Lay sliced onions & celery on the bottom of the pot and place the turkey breast on top of the onions

• Rub the top and sides of the turkey breast with olive oil

• Sprinkle the rosemary, salt and pepper on the turkey breast

• Pour the chicken stock around the sides of the Turkey breast

• Place a lid on and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours
– Slow-cooker time may vary. Consult your instructions for your brand of crock pot


• When done remove the turkey breast to slice (The turkey should be very moist and start to fall off the bone)

• To make gravy pour the turkey juice in a cooking pot and over medium heat add 2 to 3 tbsp of flour, whisking as you add the flour. I always add the flour a little at a time; you can always add more to thicken the gravy. If you like a smooth gravy strain and you are ready to serve!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete