Another snow day for most of the US and nothing is more comforting than warm soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. This is one of my go to meals that is simple and quick.
Today’s soup is not home made, I am using Liptons Chicken Noodle soup from a box, one of my favorites. For a homemade touch, in a small bowl I whisk one egg and as the soup is simmering I stir in the egg. My very simple version of egg drop soup.
You can always sprinkle in diced green onions and serve.
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
There are so many variations when preparing a grilled cheese sandwich: add sautéed mushrooms, roasted red peppers or sun dried tomato. Use your imagine and your favorite Ingredients.
• 8 slices Wheat bread- 8 grain bread is really great or sour dough
• 4 slices of cheddar or Swiss Cheese
– If pre-sliced use one slice of cheese. If you are slicing from a block slice to fit the bread
• 4 Slices of tomatoes
– Depending on size of tomato. One large tomato could provide 5 to 8 slices
• 8 Fresh Basil leaves or a sprinkle of dried basil per sandwich
– Rinse and dry the fresh basil
• 8 Thin slices of red onion
– Add according to taste or none at all. Your choice
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• Non-stick spray Smart Balance
– I use the cooking spray in place of butter or margarine, this reduces fat and the bread does toasts up really nice
• Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray
• On one slice of bread layer the cheese, onion and tomato
• Brush the tomato with a small amount of the balsamic vinegar
• Top with the basil and the second slice of bread
• Place the sandwich in the skillet on medium heat cook 2 to 3 minutes per side
– Every stove top varies so don’t let the sandwich burn
• When cheese begins to melt use a spatula to gently flip the sandwich and toast the other side
– The cheese will begin to melt
You can always add turkey, chicken, ham or any or your favorite sandwich fixings.
Slice and serve with your favorite soup! Enjoy!