Thursday, February 17, 2011

Crispy Catfish

Growing up I was never really a fan of catfish until I went fishing with my childhood friend Linda and her Dad. I can still remember sitting on the bank of the river impatiently waiting for the fish to bite, and what a thrill when we caught a fish. Linda’s Dad would patiently prepare our fishing poles, help us reel in the fish then clean and fry up the catch in a cast iron skillet. There is nothing better than fresh fish that you have caught!

I have not been fishing in many years, however on occasion our local market has fresh catfish and so today I am posting a recipe that I created several years ago. I fire up the cast iron skillet and cook up this tasty recipe. You can also use this recipe for haddock or cod.

With this recipe you get the flavor of fried catfish but without all the fat and this dish brings back wonderful childhood memories for me!
Make your own memories! Cheers!

Crispy Catfish

Ingredients:
• 4 fresh catfish fillets, about 6 ounces each
• ½ cup panko bread crumbs (creates a nice crunchy finish to the fish)
– Or Italian bread crumbs
• Non-stick cooking spray spray
• 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
– Sometimes I use Italian seasoning, garlic powder and dried basil or Cajun seasoning. Spice it up with red pepper!
• Salt and pepper, about ¼ teaspoon each
• Rinse the catfish and pat dry with paper towels
• Mix together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and old bay seasoning
– I place the mixture in a 9 ½ by 11 pan and place the catfish in the mixture coating both sides
• Spray a skillet with the non-stick cooking spray
– If you use a cast iron skillet coat the bottom of the skillet with a small amount of vegetable oil
• Over medium heat cook the fish, spray the top side with cooking spray and turn when bottom is lightly brown
– Approximately 6 to 8 minutes on each side until the fish flakes with a fork

Serve with brown rice and green beans, or black eyed peas!



1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea-I'm going to try it with halibut or grouper!

    Thanks!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete