Thursday, March 31, 2011

Herbs and Veggie Container Garden

Container Garden on the Patio





Over ten years ago I read an article about planting a container garden which conjured up a vision of fresh tomatoes, peppers, basil, rosemary and thyme dancing through my mind. My first container garden included five pots and were set-up on my patio right outside my kitchen window, always in view and easy to tend to.

Every year around February I start visualizing my patio in full bloom, brimming with containers of bright red cherry tomatoes, vibrant green peppers, the smell of fresh basil and the feeling of new beginnings and a fresh start that Spring brings to mind.

This year’s container garden includes: cherry tomatoes (I have tried to grow the “big boy” variety however they do not seem compatible with small containers), bell peppers, Jalapeno peppers, thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary, cilantro,

My patio is small in size but every bit of space is utilized to create a space that is vibrant, fragrant and soothing. Providing an environment for the various birds, frogs and lizards, and on occasion a bunny rabbit has been spotted chomping away at the foliage.

The majority of my produce is procured at a local organic farm, Poplar Ridge in Waxhaw, NC; however there is something very therapeutic and satisfying about growing herbs, flowers and vegetables in my own back patio.

Check back for new recipes incorporating my fresh herbs and veggie’s. Shop at your local farmers market and also start your own garden today!


No comments:

Post a Comment