Friday, April 22, 2011

Carrot Cake or Cupcakes for Mother's Day or any time~


When I was growing up every Mother’s Day and Easter for as far back as I can recall it was my job to bake the Carrot Cake for the family gatherings in Southern California. My Mom taught me to make carrot cake, nothing fancy no two layers for us, just a delicious sheet cake with homemade cream cheese frosting. A favorite desert of my mothers and Aunt Pat, and even before the meal was ready they would begin with “I am going to have just a sliver of the carrot cake”. One year “someone” ate half the carrot cake before dinner, the culprit was never discovered, but we have our suspicions!

I have lived in the Carolina’s for over twenty years now and whenever I pull out the recipe card for carrot cake, yellowed with age I am an instantly transported back in time surrounded by the Huffman clan, lots of love and of course the carrot cake!

You can also use this recipe to whip up a batch of carrot cupcakes! My niece Molly made carrot cupcakes for my birthday last summer and we didn't even need the frosting they were so moist and delicious! We like to make a tray of regular sized cupcakes and a tray of mini cupcakes!

Over the years, I have decreased the amount of sugar but basically this is my Mom’s recipe
Nana Huffman's Carrot Cake
Ingredients:
• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon of salt
– If you are using self-rising flour you can omit the salt
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– More if you like
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup salad oil
• 1 ½ cups of sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• ½ cup crushed pineapple well drained or ½ cup applesauce- Mom always used the crushed pineapple
3 cups of raw carrots grated
– I grate the carrots on the small part of the grater, you can purchase grated carrots but I think freshly grated adds more moisture and fresh is best!
Raisins- sometimes I toss in a ½ cup.

Directions

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
• Select one of the following
– A cake pan 9 by 13 by 2 inch
– Two 9 x 12-inch cake pans
– Or line cupcake baking sheets, makes 24 regular cupcakes

• In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside

• In a large bowl using an electric mixer or hand mixer add one egg at a time until blended, slowly add the sugar and mix
• Pour in the oil and blend, then blend in the vanilla
• Next blend in the applesauce or crushed pineapple
• Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt (if adding) and mix together
• Using a spoon mix in the grated carrots
– If you are adding Walnuts and or raisins do so now
8 ½ by 11 bake on 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes
Two 9 x 12-inch cake pans bake for 30 to 35 minutes
Cupcakes bake about 20 minutes

Cakes and cupcake will be done when toothpick is inserted and comes out clean, no batter showing on the toothpick.

These are great for celebrations or any time!

Just cook something! Cheers~ Kary


1 comment:

  1. Karen, Thanks for sharing! I love carrot cake and love how you use pineapple or applesauce as an additional sweetener. xxoo to you and Doug, Samantha

    ReplyDelete