One of my favorite appetizers is shrimp cocktail when dining out seaside, a light and spicy starter for any meal. On Valentines Day this year I was searching for a light starter for Doug’s and my home cooked Valentines’ meal and fresh shrimp was available at the local market. I have my own recipe for cocktail sauce and I like to kick up the spice quotient with horseradish, lot’s of it!
So why wait until you are dining out or for a special occasion, try my simple yet spicy shrimp cocktail. If you don’t use all the shrimp for the appetizer toss the shrimp with pasta or make a shrimp with chili sauce and avocado sandwich (recipe to follow in another blog).
• 1 lb medium or large shrimp
• You can purchase cooked, cleaned and deveined shrimp or cook yourself
• Ingredients for cocktail sauce
• ½ cup ketchup
• 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
• Add more if you like an extra kick!
• 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• Cooking instructions for uncooked shrimp
• Place the shrimp with shells in a large pot and cover with water
• Bring the water to a boil
• Boil for 2 to 3 minutes
• Drain the shrimp and rinse with cold water. You want to stop the shrimp from cooking. If you over cook the shrimp it will become mushy.
• Once the shrimp is cooled peel and de-vein
• Serve with cocktail sauce