The book selection this month was one of mine; “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” author Mary Ann Shaffer. The time is 1946; post World War II set in London and the Island of Guernsey, Channel Islands.
Each December we have a book club Christmas party and select our books for the following year. This is a wonderful way to celebrate the holidays, select our books for next year and end the year without the added “to do” of reading a book for the club.
As with many of our selections the reviews were mixed, which just adds to our discussion. Several of us thought the story was captivating and delightful, however the book is written as a series of letters and some of our group did not care for this book. One of our group, Rose listened to the book on CD during her commute to work and said that she really enjoyed the story. As Rose pointed out, many books on CD are read by one person; however this book is read by a variety of narrators which enhances the characters, their accents and gender.
Lea did not server Potato Peel Pie (thank goodness) but I did bring Sun-dried Tomatoes and Spinach Quiche Appetizer. The ladies requested the recipe so here it is.
Cheers! Kary ~
Sun-dried Tomatoes and Spinach Quiche Appetizer or main course, just add a salad!
• 4 Eggs
• 5 Tablespoons Milk, non-fat or skim
• 3 Tbsp. Flour
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• 1 cup fresh Spinach, about 2 handfuls, rinse and pat dry
• 1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, drain liquid
• 6 ounces shredded Cheddar and Jack cheese (pre-shredded works well) ½ to ¾ cups
• Non-stick cooking spray
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Crack the eggs into a medium size mixing bowl and whisk the eggs, mix in the milk, then the flour and pepper
• Whisk together, there might be a couple of small lumps of flour but they blend in when baked
• Drain the sun dried tomatoes
• Lightly grease 9 x 9 x 1 inch pan or a pie pan
– I use non-stick cooking spray
• Layer the Spinach on the bottom, followed by the sun-dried tomatoes, top with the shredded cheese
• Pour the egg mixture over the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and cheese
• Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until firm and starts to brown
– If you are using the 9 x 9 x 1 pan cut into squares
– pie pan – 16 slices
– You can make this dish the day before you serve, cover and store in the refrigerator. Heat in the microwave for about 45 seconds and serve!