Monday, May 16, 2011

Brunch on the Patio with Friends


Sun dried tomato & mushroom quiche, home fries & strawberries


  Brunch on the patio with friends


Brunch with Candy and Donny
After months of planning and anticipating the arrival of our good friends Candy and Donny, they finally arrived Sunday just in time for brunch on the patio. They took the red-eye flight from San Diego, always a delightful experience, I am joking of course. Candy and I are not fans of the “red-eye”, over-night flights for those of you who are not familiar with the term; they call it that for a reason.

I was pretty sure they would be tired and hungry, so I made a breakfast quiche, home fries and fresh cantaloupe for brunch.

I used my basic crust-less quiche recipe, however when serving this dish for breakfast rather than an appetizer or main dish I use 6 eggs rather than 4 and I go a little lighter on the cheese.

Candy and Donny escaped my camera lens on Sunday, but they will be back this Friday so I will be sure to snap some photo’s and share them with you.

For dinner on Sunday night I made pesto lasagna with chicken, mushrooms and spinach.
I will post that recipe later this week.

Sunday was a beautiful day and we enjoyed the sunshine, brunch on the patio and then climbed into our mini cooper convertible, top down of course and went for a tour of Charlotte.

I can’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday than with good friends, good food and lots of laughs!

Doug and I can’t wait to see them again on Friday, homemade gumbo is already made and in the freezer!
Cheers!

Basic Crust-less Quiche with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes
** Remember to make this your own, add asparagus, broccoli, peppers, onions, you get the idea!

Ingredients:

• 6 Eggs
• 5 Tablespoons Milk, non-fat or skim
• 3 Tablespoons flour
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• 6 to 8 medium mushrooms, about a cup, add more if you like
• 4 ounces shredded Cheddar and Jack cheese (pre-shredded works well) ½ cup
• 1/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes, drain liquid
• Non-stick cooking spray

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Crack the eggs into a medium size mixing bowl and whisk the eggs, mix in the milk, then the flour and pepper
• Whisk together, there might be a couple of small lumps of flour but they blend in when baked
• Drain the sun dried tomatoes (you can use the oil for salad dressing)
• Clean and slice the mushrooms, I like to make the slices thicker so you can really sink your teach into them once the quiche is cooked
• Lightly grease 9 x 9 x 1 inch pan or a pie pan
– I use non-stick cooking spray
• Sprinkle the cheese on the bottom, followed by the thickly sliced mushrooms, then the sun dried tomatoes
• Pour the egg mixture over the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and cheese
• Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until firm and starts to brown

– If you are using the 9 x 9 x 1 pan cut into squares
– Pie pan – 8 to 16 slices, you can determine the portion size

Quiche Sun dried Tomatoes & Spinach Appetizer or Main Dish, Posted on my blog 4/27/11 cookingwithkary.blogspot.com









1 comment:

  1. Karen, I need a good recipe for organic ground turkey? Not just turkey burgers, maybe thinking of turkey enchiladas? Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete