Friday, May 20, 2011

A week with friends and family, lot's of laughs and good food



Gumbo

This has been a busy and wonderful week at the Squires home. After our good friends Candy and Donny headed out on Monday for the second leg of their southern journey, on Tuesday my Auntie and Uncle Jimmy who live in eastern Washington state arrived our home.

In preparation for their visit on Monday I tossed three large boned chicken breasts, onion, garlic, sliced apple and fresh rosemary in the slow cooker. Doug and I enjoyed the chicken with black beans, corn and a fresh green salad for dinner. On Tuesday I made Chicken enchiladas with black beans and corn for dinner, with a side salad of iceberg and fresh spinach salad. I really like to use iceberg for a salad when I am serving a spicy dish, the iceberg lettuce is a great compliment.
On Wednesday I loaded Auntie and Uncle Jimmy in the mini cooper and we headed out to “Brattonsville Plantation” in McConnell’s, SC about a 45 minute drive from our house, if you don’t get lost, which we did but finally arrived at our destination an hour later.

Brattonsville plantation is featured in the movie “The Patriot” which was filmed in 1999, and is a great example of typical plantation living that existed prior to the civil war. Since we were going to be gone most of the day I made my slowed cooked ribs, posted on my blog January 5, 2011.
It’s Friday afternoon, Candy and Donny have returned from their journey to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. Last week I made a batch of homemade Gumbo and stored it in the freezer, I thawed it out last night in the refrigerator and around noon today put it in the slow cooker.

Gumbo posted March 3, 2011.

The rain has moved on and the sun is out which will make for a beautiful evening on the patio where we can relax, hear all about Candy and Donny’s adventures this past week exploring the south and enjoy my version of New Orleans style gumbo.

Enjoy your weekend. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment