My kitchen is over run with fresh basil, flavorful red hot peppers, green peppers, tomatoes and squash. I have been whipping up pesto to freeze for the winter and cooking up delicious pesto dishes.
Last Friday night Doug grilled chicken breasts marinated in homemade pesto, the basil fresh from Poplar Ridge Farms. We enjoyed the grilled chicken with a green salad made with romaine lettuce, tossed in just picked tomatoes and several slices of red onions
I purchased organic goat cheese last week. When you purchase fresh organic cheese it might appear to cost a little more than processed cheese, the cheese is so rich, creamy and flavorful you actually use leas cheese than you would processed cheese. And there is no comparison in taste.
For the last several days we have been lunching on grilled cheese sandwiches with pesto chicken, goat cheese and roasted red peppers. Yummy!
Ingredients for one sandwich:
• ½ grilled chicken breast thinly sliced
– You can use any type of cooked chicken
• Pesto, homemade or you can purchase
– Or light mayonnaise with olive oil
• 2 slices whole wheat bread
• ½ to a whole roasted red pepper, roast or grill your own peppers or use peppers
• Slice each red pepper so the pepper will lay flat on the bread and remove the seeds
• 1 Tablespoon goat cheese
• Non-stick cooking spray, I like to use canola oil non-fat or olive oil
• Spray non-stick cooking spray on a large griddle or skillet
• Spread a thin layer of pesto or mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread
• On one half of the bread layer chicken, peppers and top with the crumbled goat cheese
• Place the second slice on top to create a sandwich
• Place the sandwiches on the griddle; lightly spray the top of the bread with the non-stick cooking spray
• Grill on medium heat for approximately 2 to 3 minutes until light brown on the bottom then carefully flip the sandwich
• The second side usually cooks faster so be careful to watch closely so as not to burn
• Remove from heat, wait 1 o 2 minutes
Slice and enjoy a delicious sandwich. Great with fresh fruit, carrots, sliced tomatoes, soup or salad.
Just Cook Something! Enjoy~ Cheers! Kary