Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mustard Greens, Sauteed with Onions, Potatoes, Carrots and Roast Beef


Have you ever tried mustard greens? Mustard greens have a spicy flavor and I thought they might be a great side for Sunday’s roast beef.

I had mustard greens, carrots, red potatoes, onions and garlic sitting on my counter just waiting to be included in a meal.

I chopped a yellow onion, diced up a couple of garlic cloves, seared the roast on the stove top,  just to brown up each side and tossed them in the slow cooker. My slow cooker recommends ¼ cup of water or broth and I also add a dash of thyme, oregano and rosemary.

I set the cooker on low for eight hours, which always results in a mouth watering and tender roast.  (Cooking times vary depending the model of your slow cooker; always consult your recipe manual).

You can always add carrots and potatoes to the slow cooker; however I like my carrots with a bit firm so I roast them in the oven.

As the switch on the slow cooker changed from low to warm, I tossed together red potatoes, carrots and added a little of the juice from the roast to an oven proof dish. I steamed the vegetables in the micro wave for about 10 to 15 minutes until soft then placed the baking dish in the broiler for about 5 minutes to brown up.

I rinsed off a couple of handfuls of mustard greens dried them and in a large pan I added about a tablespoon of Olive Oil and sautéed for 1 to 2 minutes until they were warm. I used the greens as a bed for the cooked carrots and potatoes. Fork up a slice of potato, chunk of carrot and piece of mustard green which make for a spicy tangy treat for your palate. Delicious!

Just cook something! Cheers! Kary~




No comments:

Post a Comment