Thursday, October 20, 2011

Green Tomato Hot Sauce or Salsa


A couple of weeks ago I picked up a bag of green tomatoes, about 8 tomatoes in varying sizes.  I used the first bag of green tomatoes that I brought home to prepare a green tomato sauce, which I tossed with pasta and chicken. At Poplar Ridge Farm, where I participate in the work share program, one of the CSA members baked a green tomato pie for the farmers and volunteers, and before you turn your nose up at the thought of this pie let me tell you it was so sweet and tasty, very similar to an apple pie.
Since some consider tomatoes a fruit, it is not so surprising that this was great pie.
Many of you may have heard of fried green tomatoes, by the way one of my favorite movies, however unless you live in the southern states you might not have tasted this dish. I was not in the mood to make fried green tomatoes and I mentioned to my hubby Doug that I wanted to try something new and since having green tomatoes in my kitchen was a first this season any recipe other than the sauce that I had prepared would be new. 
My husband Doug suggested that I make hot sauce or salsa, great idea. I checked the labels on the hot sauce that we had in the fridge and the ingredients were peppers, vinegar and garlic. Pretty simple, I could make our own hot sauce and it would be with organic produce. 
  • 8 Green tomatoes, sizes varied from small to large, rinse off and chop
  • 6 Hot peppers, remove seeds and chop, wash your hands really well, if you rub your eyes yes they will burn! I know this from experience
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil, or a spritz from the “Misto” Yes my new kitchen gadget!
  • 1 small red onion, usually in most of my recipes you can substitute with yellow onion, however in salsa I find nothing matches the flavor of the red onion
Here’s the thing with green tomatoes, you need to cook them before you eat them.
Add the olive oil to a large skillet and over medium heat add the diced tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Toss in the diced peppers and garlic, continue to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and garlic is just turning brown.
Allow the mixture to cool about 30 minutes.
Pour the tomato, garlic and peppers in a blender or food processor and puree. Add the diced onions and you are ready for a spicy treat!
Serve with tortilla chips, grilled chicken tacos or kick up scrambled eggs with a dash of this hot sauce.

Cheers! Just cook something!




No comments:

Post a Comment