Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Grilled Shrimp with Tequila Lime Marinade


Yesterday my local market had fresh gulf shrimp on special. I am all about supporting the gulf region and the shrimp from the gulf is usually fresh and flavorful.

As I was driving home with my shrimp, I had the top down on my mini cooper enjoying a warm autumn day and I thought I would whip up a Tequila lime marinade for the shrimp.

Most day’s ideas for the evening meal just pop into my head and are usually connected with the weather, how I am feeling or what is fresh and on special at the local market. Or sometimes a song, but alas Margaritaville was not playing on the radio, however since it was an unusually warm fall day I was in the mood for a little flavor of seaside dining and a taste of Mexico for dinner.

At home I had a lime hanging out in the fruit and vegetable bowl, hot peppers in the freezer and tequila in the side board just waiting to join the shrimp. I think fresh cilantro would have been a great addition but unfortunately I did not have any on hand fresh, dried or frozen.  

After I mixed up the marinade and tossed in the shrimp, I let the shrimp soak up the flavors for about 1 and ½ hours. I squeezed the juice out of one lime and I think next time I will use juice from two or three fresh limes, which would really kick up the flavor.  

I served the grilled marinated shrimp over a green salad with fresh spinach, ice burg lettuce, diced tomatoes and home made chili dressing. Doug and I both agreed that this is a keeper and tonight since I am on a lime and tequila kick pork chops are marinating in the refrigerator as I prepare to post this recipe.  

Some of you “foodies” may not care for ice burg lettuce, but I am a fan of ice burg for certain dishes, specifically when the weather is warm I enjoy the crispy freshness of ice burg lettuce.

As always this is your meal, so spice it up or not! Cheers!
Just cook something!
 

Ingredients
         1 pound of medium or large uncooked shrimp, remove the shell and devein
         1 cup of your favorite Tequila
         2 to 3 whole limes, squeeze the juice into a small bowl and remove seeds
          You can use ¼ cup lime juice from a bottle
         2 teaspoons garlic powder
         1 small Jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced
          You can use cayenne pepper if you do not have jalapeno or a hot pepper
         ¼ teaspoon of salt and black pepper
         Skewers or grill pan
         Non-stick cooking spray, I use my “Misto” with olive oil
         Large bowl with lid or zip lock plastic bag for marinating the shrimp
          You want  make sure all of the shrimp is covered with the marinade
         Pour in the Tequila, lime juice, garlic powder, diced jalapeno peppers, salt and black pepper in a large plastic zip lock bag or large cooking pan
         Add the clean, uncooked, deveined shrimp to the marinade
         Place the shrimp and marinade in the refrigerator and marinade for at least 30 minutes or longer if you have time
          The longer you marinade the shrimp the more flavorful the grilled shrimp will be
         Remove the shrimp from the marinade and place the shrimp on the skewers
          I use metal skewers, they are reusable and really sturdy- Be careful not to burn your self! My hubby Doug uses his pliers to turn the skewers and remove them from the grill. There is probably some type of tool out there so you don’t burn your hands, need to Google that
          Cook 3 minutes, turn cook for another 3 minutes. The shrimp will cook very quickly so be sure to keep a close watch!
          Or spray grill pan, add the shrimp and cook about 3 minutes per side
         Marinade, heat on stove top and pour over the cooked shrimp for added flavor
         Serve grilled shrimp with rice, pasta or a salad

If you have any left over, which we usually don’t, the chilled shrimp is great with cocktail sauce or in a sandwich. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment