Thursday, November 10, 2011

Carrot Cake or Cupcakes Happy Birthday Mom!


Happy Birthday Mom! 

Last year my niece Molly and I were at my parent’s home in the great Pacific NW celebrating my Mom’s birthday with her and baking a carrot cake for the special day. 

The recipe for the carrot cake is one of my Mother’s that I have been baking for special celebrations for many years.   

Mom, I wish I was with you this year; I would make you a cake, plan a tea party and give you lots of hugs!

But I am at home in the Carolina’s thinking about you and waiting for your great grand baby to be born, it still could be today on your Birthday!  

Just waiting for the call or txt from our Princess Brenda to tell us she is in labor, OMG we are all so excited.   

So Happy Happy Birthday Mommy, we love you!  

Kary Sue, Doug, Brad, Ryann, Brenda, Nate, Avery and Jake!   

Here’s my recipe for Carrot Cake or cupcakes originally posted April 22, 2011.

Over the years I have decreased the amount of sugar, adding applesauce and reducing the amount of oil, but basically this is my Mom’s recipe, always delicious and moist. 

Nana Huffman's Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
 2 cups of all-purpose flour
 2 teaspoons baking powder
 1 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon of salt, if you are using self-rising flour you can omit the salt
 2 teaspoons cinnamon, a dash more if you like
 4 eggs
 1 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
 1 cup applesauce, I use unsweetened
 1 cup of granulated sugar

 3/4 cup of brown sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups of raw carrots grated, I grate the carrots on the small part of the grater

Options to add to the batter:
Raisins- sometimes I toss in about 1 cup, Walnuts- toast ½ cup and add

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Select one of the following
A cake pan 9 by 13 by 2 inches
Two 9 x 12-inch cake pans
Or line cupcake baking sheets, makes 24 
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, set aside
In a large bowl using an electric mixer or hand mixer add one egg at a time until blended; slowly add the sugar and mix
Add in the oil and blend, then blend in the vanilla
Next mix in the applesauce or crushed pineapple
Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt (if adding) and mix together
Using a spoon mix in the grated carrots, if you are adding Walnuts and or raisins do so at this time

8 ½ by 11 bakes on 325 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes
Two 9 x 12-inch cake pans bake for 30 to 35 minutes, cupcakes bake about 20 minutes  
 

I have baked in many different brands of ovens and the cooking time can vary, cakes and cupcakes will be done when toothpick is inserted and comes out clean, no batter showing on the toothpick. Enjoy! 

Just Cook Something! Cheers~ Kary

No comments:

Post a Comment