Friday January 13, 2011
I have a boring picture of Sweet Potato Soup, this picture is more fun!
Yesterday with a chill in the air and soup on my mind I rummaged around in the freezer, located the frozen roasted sweet potatoes, which are perfect for this soup recipe, and cooked up a pot of soup.
Non-stick cooking oil spray – My new favorite kitchen item is the “Misto” Gourmet Olive Oil Sprayer, absolutely awesome, you can fill with your favorite oil
To roast the sweet potatoes: Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
Toss in the sweet potatoes, add the chopped garlic and onions
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat, sauté the diced onions and garlic for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onions are transparent and garlic softens
- Cover the pot with the onions and garlic, they will steam and cook quickly
- Add the roasted sweet potatoes and vegetable broth to the pot, stir and allow to cool
- Allow the mixture to cool, before you blend, otherwise you will have an explosion of soup all over your kitchen!
- Pour ½ the soup in the blender. You will probably have to blend in two or three batches, make sure you do not fill the blender to the top
- Or use an hand immersion blender
- Blend until thick and smooth
- Once blended pour back into the pot, add the garbanzo beans, simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until soup is warm and serve