Thursday, February 23, 2012

Turkey Burger Greek Inspired on The Grill


Greek Inspired Turkey Burgers
An alternative to Hamburgers with Beef! 
Grilled Greek Turkey Burger with Green Salad
The first day of spring in the US is still several weeks away but today in my part of the world the sun is shining, the high was 75 degrees, Cherry Blossoms are in full bloom, the birds are happily chirping and the pollen is flying. There is more than a hint of spring in the air and a perfect day to fire up the grill! 

I truly love a good hamburger and in my continuing effort to fill up the menu with a variety of protein sources I have created this Greek inspired turkey burger, using ground turkey, mint and feta cheese. 

I usually omit the bun and serve with Bushes Smokehouse Traditions Baked Beans, a salad or grilled vegetables, sometimes I slice a sweet yellow onion and toss it on the grill; served with pita bread and cucumber dressing.

As always your choice for the vegetable, just make sure you include them! 

Give this one a try, comment on my blog and let me know what you think or post your favorite turkey burger recipe. Cheers! 

Greek Inspired Turkey Burgers 

Ingredients:
         1 large egg
         1 lb Ground Turkey (You can also mix with ground chicken or ground pork)
         2 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
         1 tablespoon fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
         1 teaspoon garlic powder
         1 teaspoon onion powder
         ¼ teaspoon pepper
         ¼ teaspoon salt
         ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
          I like to use low-fat feta with tomato and basil
         6 Wheat buns or serve without the bun

Cooking Instructions:
         Crack the egg in a large bowl and beat the egg
         Add the ground turkey, bread crumbs, mint, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Mix together
          I find it easier to mix with my hands, and don’t forget to wash your hands
         Form into 6 small patties or 4 large patties
          Variations: form small bite size for the children or for appetizers. You can also use this recipe to make turkey meatballs
          You can prepare a day ahead and keep chilled
         The turkey burgers will be really moist and might stick to the grill. I place a piece of wax paper on a plate and spray with non-stick cooking spray
         Lay the burgers on the wax paper and spray the top of the burger with the non-stick cooking spray. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook
         Heat outside Grill to medium heat or heat a cast iron skillet or non-stick cooking over medium heat on your stove
         Grill on medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes per side

Serve with fresh grilled vegetables or a salad, whole wheat buns optional!

6 comments:

  1. Pinned this! We raise turkeys and I "collect" turkey recipes! Great tips about the sticking to the grill. Iowagirleats sautes her turkey burgers, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, Thanks for stopping in. I cook turkey all year long, usually a turkey breast in the slow cooker.
      I will put together a list of my turkey recipes for you! Hugs, Kary

      Delete
  2. This looks fabulous, Kary. And with all due respect, the only thing I would change is the feta cheese. I am not a fan of feta. I would probably use Queso Petacon, a Salvadorian cheese that has similar saltiness. Otherwise I wouldn't change anything else.

    Once again, thank you for sharing your heart's recipes!
    ~Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! Will have to try and fnd Queso Petacon! Hugs, Kary

      Delete
  3. The turkey burgers sound delicious. Great way to eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! I am heading over to check out your blog. Cheers! Kary

      Delete