Friday, March 30, 2012

Grilled Scallops with Italian Dressing Marinade


Grilled Scallops at Zebra- Cell phone pic!
Perfectly grilled, broiled or sautéed scallops are one of my favorite dishes, and with the first bite I am transported to the west coast. I can visualize the sunset, imagine the gentle breeze blowing through my hair and the smell of the ocean. Oh the wonderful memories of Del Mar, the Cove at Solana Beach, Cardiff Reef, Moonlight Beach and Stone Steps in Leucadia, California.  

Earlier this week I had lunch with a good friend at a fantastic restaurant called Zebra located in Charlotte, NC which features a French inspired menu. 

My friend Loa recommended the “Wi
ld Harvested Jumbo Scallops and Welcoming Vase Salad with Baby Lettuces, Shaved Cucumber, Citrus Segments, Raspberries and Lemon Dijon Dressing." 

Since I do love scallops and it is a challenge to find them in land locked Charlotte I followed Loa’s lead and placed my order for scallop salad. I was not disappointed! The scallops were grilled to perfection, fresh, tasty and the baby lettuce was in a basket made from sesame seeds, sliced almonds with a dash of honey.  

The salad was pure artistry; delectable and bursting with flavour. I was transported to a seaside table on a cool spring day; umm I can still feel the wind on my face.

Here is my really easy scallops recipe, actually no recipe at all just brush the scallops with your favorite oil based dressing, grill and serve with a fresh salad!

 Ingredients
•         1 lb fresh Scallops
–           Fresh or fresh frozen. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel
•         2 Tablespoons Italian dressing
•         Metal skewers or cook in a grilling basket

Optional - Sliced red or yellow onion, about a 1/4 of a large onion

Cooking Instructions:
•         Heat grill to medium heat
•         Place 4 to 5 scallops on each skewer, depending on the size of the scallop, do not crowd. Add sliced onion if using between the scallops
•         Brush the scallops with Italian dressing (homemade or purchased at the market)
•         Place the Scallops on the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, you do not want to over cook the scallop or they will be tough


–          Other Cooking Options
•         Heat the broiler. Place the scallops on a baking sheet, brush with Italian dressing and broil 3 to 4 minutes each side
•         Stove top-Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add the scallops and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes per side


Enjoy with a spinach salad! Just cook something. Cheers! Kary~

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Kary! Sorry that I just found you. I am not sure where my head is at. And here I thought I was looking for your posts often. I apologize!

    Hubby and I LOVE scallops, in just about anyway they serve them. However they must be done right. Overcooked by a mere 30 seconds and you have rubber.

    Your recipe here seems simple enough and tasty with pure simplicity. Wonderful!

    I am glad I finally stopped over here and found your post. :)

    Big hugs Amiga!
    ~Virginia

    ReplyDelete