Saturday, December 20, 2014

Prime Rib Herb Seasoning, Dried Herbs

You asked and you shall receive! Here is my Herb Seasoning for an 8-pound rib-roast. 

And remember "a recipe is merely a suggestion" which I believe is a Julia Childs quote. And if you are like me, it truly is only a suggestion, I continue to adjust and change recipes depending on what ingredients I have in my pantry.  

It'2021 and we have so much to be thankful for. Here is an update to this recipe. Over the years I have found that less olive oil works better, you want a really thick paste. So, I start with 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil and add more if needed. 


Herb Seasoning for Prime Rib with Dried Herbs

Our Bren's Christmas Prime Rib 2012~Amazing!
Dried Herb Seasoning
        4 gloves of fresh garlic, peeled and crushed or finely minced or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
        2 to 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
        1 tablespoon Worchester Sauce
        1 tablespoon onion powder
        2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
        1 tablespoon dried basil
        1 teaspoon dried rosemary
        1 teaspoon dried sage~ optional
        Dash of Salt and 1 teaspoon Pepper 


How to prepare: I season a day or to before I cook the roast, cover and store in the refridgerator. On the moring that I am going to cook the roast I remove the cover and let it sit uncovered in the fridge. 

        In a small mixing bowl add the olive oil, crush or mince the garlic, Worchester Sauce, onion powder, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper and mix together

        Make sure your Prime Rib is dry, I use a paper towel and cover the entire roast with the seasoning. 

        Now you’re ready to roast!  

Roasting time
My go to roasting guide is ”Julia’s Kitchen Wisdom” By Julia Childs, which I purchased back in 2000 and this book is filled with lots of great cooking tips. 

However, I found that Julia’s servings per pound are very different for my family ~ 

Here’s what I know:
            Bone-in roast serves 1 to 1½ servings per pound
            Boneless roast will serve about two servings per pound 

And I always use a meat thermometer; this is the best way to monitor the temperature of the roast.

Here is one method to cook the roast, which is really an Old Way of cooking. Our son Jake introduced us to this method one Christmas. Ok I admit I was nervous and kept peeking through the window of the oven, of course when I thought know one was looking. The roast was a perfect medium-rare, with just a few pieces left…

We had 8 and a wee one for dinner; I purchased a 16 pound bone-in roast. 

There are a number of recipes for this method on the web here is one of them that I like: Culinary Arts about food.

What’s your favorite method for cooking a Prime Rib Roast?

Merry Holidays and Happy Christmas!
Cheers! Kary



No comments:

Post a Comment