Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Carrot, Raisin and Apple Salad No Mayo

Just the thought of carrot and raisin salad can transport me back to sitting in our
Carrot Raisin and Apple Salad
kitchen, seeing Mom with the peeler and shredder in hand trying to get us to help.  I don’t remember my sissies, brother or me ever fighting over who was going to help Mom peel and shred the carrots. Now I find the process of dicing, chopping and shredding kind of therapeutic and I usually have a yummy home made meal for us to enjoy, oh and free therapy, sort of…
As you know I am not a big kitchen gadget type, I love to use a good knife to chop and dice when cooking. Also easier to clean than a food processor, although I do have a Osterizerblender that comes in handy when needed. Hmm and my old fashioned stainlesssteel shredder is not always easy to clean, oh well it’s what I use when I am making carrot cake or carrot salad it just makes any recipe better, in my mind.
So with shredder in hand and a bunch of organic carrots I thought I would shred up a salad.
If you have ever been to a buffet carrot salad is usually right there front and center on the salad bar. Usually Carrot Raisin Salad is dressed with mayonnaise and I was trying to think of a lighter healthier alternative. I also had a medium sized apple that needed to be eaten soon.

Here’s what I had:
8 medium organic carrots, peeled and shredded
1 medium apple, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup of raisins
1 Tablespoon Organic Vinaigrette Dressing- Or you can use a little balsamic and olive oil blend. The apples add a little extra sweetness.

 In a large bowl I mix together the shredded carrots, diced apple, raisins and dressing. 

Yes, it is that easy! Just Cook Something! Cheers! Kary~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment