Monday, August 22, 2016

Gluten Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies

Kary’s version of Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips


Last week we were preparing to head over to Myrtle Beach to visit Doug’s parents and celebrate my birthday. Of course I can't show up at Duano and Nan’s casa without a special treat. I had a bag of Trader Joe’s Rolled Oats, 100% Whole Grain Oats, Gluten Free in my pantry and noticed there was a recipe for Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies. After I read the recipe I thought I would give it a go, and in my usual way made a few changes to the recipe. I had never made a gluten free desert, fortunately none of us in our family has a gluten allergy.

Duano said this was my best cookie yet! I have heard that so many gluten free cookies are not really that tasty, so I thought I would share it with you since we all know someone with a gluten allergy.

I have found that I can reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe and not affect the consistency of the cookies, in addition I reduced the amount of chocolate chips. My best bud Karin suggested I use miniature chocolate chips next time. Stay tuned for the next batch.

Update February 2023 - I now use miniature chocolate chips and my friend Elaine suggested adding raisins, which I did and wow they are next level! As always make them your own! 

Here’s my take and the original recipe.

Here’s Kary’s take:                        Trader Joes Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
¼ cup of butter                           ¼ cup of butter
½ cup of Brown Sugar                  ¾ cup of Brown Sugar
½ cup of Sugar                            ¾ cup of sugar
2 eggs                                          2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla                                  1 tsp vanilla
1 ¼ tsp baking soda                      1/ ¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup peanut butter                      1 cup peanut butter
3 cups of Rolled Oats                   3 cups Rolled Oats
4 oz. chocolate chips                    6 oz. chocolate chips
No nuts                                        ½ cup sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure the butter is at room temperature, soft enough to mix with the brown sugar and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Mix in one egg at a time, add vanilla, baking soda then blend.  Mix in peanut butter. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, if adding nuts mix in now.

I place a Silpat on a cookie sheet or you can lightly grease the cookie sheet or use parchment paper to line the cookie sheet to bake the cookies on.

Place each teaspoon of cookie dough on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. I have a Kenmore Pro with a Confection Bake setting and it takes 8 to 10 minutes to bake the perfect cookie. I always bake for 8 then check them.

Depending on the size of your cookie the recipe can make approximately 48 cookies.
Everyone loved these! Next time I might add sunflower seeds to some of the cookies just to see if we like them.

Do you have a tasty Gluten Free cookie recipe that is yummy?
Just Cook Something! Cheers! Kary~

No comments:

Post a Comment