Monday, February 6, 2017

Kitchari, Mung Beans and Quinoa

Every once in awhile I pick up a copy of “First for women” and in last months issue I came across Kitchari soup. This article was about Detoxing the lymph system and losing 9 lbs in 4 days!  You can find the complete article in the January 23, 2017 magazine, they also have several great soup recipes. "This process is suppose to remove lymph-clogging wheat, processed fats and heal your gut."

The recipe uses mung beans…hmmm I wasn't sure what these were so off I went to google mung beans and Kitchari, and down the rabbit hole I went…Kitchari is an Indian dish that and Kitchari means mixing, usually two grains. 

I found some interesting and educational sites along with several recipes :
Kitchari Healing Stew, Ayurvedic Kitchari Cleanse 
Ayurveda a Science of Internal Healing

Here is my first try, which cooked up like risotto not soup….and as I later realized I only used 4 cups of broth not the 8 that was recommended. I just grabbed a 32 ounce box of organic vegetable broth not thinking about the fact that this was 4 cups. I stumbled across this great link by author Katie Workman Julie Childs Quotes  and as Juila Childs use to say "The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

Kitchari, Kary’s way, I used organic because after all it just makes sense. 

Here’s what I used:
4 cups low-sodium Organic Vegetable Broth- I used one 32 ounce box of broth so this batch was not soup like at all, thick like risotto but still delicious
1 cup split mung beans, found these at Earth Fare and really like the flavor
1 cup Organic Quinoa
2 tsp. ground turmeric
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. fennel seeds, next time I will use ½ tsp. If you’re not familiar with fennel it has a licorice taste next time I will use ½ to 1 tsp.
1 tsp. smoked paprika, this is a current personal favorite
1 tbsp. Olive oil
Non-traditional your choice to add: ½ sweet yellow onion and 2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed, more if you like

In a large cooking pot add olive oil and heat over medium heat, add onion and sauté until the onion starts to become translucent, add crushed or chopped garlic and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, do not burn the garlic!

Add the vegetable broth, beans, quinoa and stir in turmeric, cumin, fennel and paprika.
Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 to 35 minutes. Using the ingredients in my recipe this did not turn out as a soup, more like a risotto and it was delicious, yep it was. 

Do make it your own and Just Cook Something! Cheers! Kary!

Original Recipe First for women, January 23, 2017 magazine
Kitchari soup
In a large pot mix and simmer for 45 minutes
1 cup of split mung beans
1 cup basmati rice,
8 cups veggie broth,
1 Tbs. grated ginger
2 tsp. each turmeric, coriander and cumin

No comments:

Post a Comment