Monday, May 22, 2017

Kitchari Soup Mung Beans and Basmati Rice

Back in February I posted a recipe for Kitchari, my first attemp cooked up like risotto not soup….and later I realized I only used 4 cups of broth not the 8 that was recommended. I just grabbed a 32 ounce box of organic vegetable broth not thinking about the fact that this was 4 cups not 8. 

Today I decided to try again and whip up a pot of Kitchari Soup. 

Here’s what I used:
4 cups low-sodium Organic Vegetable Broth- I used one 32 ounce box of broth
1/4 cup split mung beans, found these at Earth Fare and really like the flavor
1/4 cup brown basmati rice
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. fennel seeds. If you’re not familiar with fennel it has a licorice taste and can be very strong
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika, this is a current personal favorite

I also added 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and 1/2 tsp. onion powderke

In a large cooking pot add the vegetable broth, beans, rice and stir in turmeric, cumin, fennel, paprika, garlic and onion powder
Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 to 35 minutes. This time is was more like a soup and made 3 servings, about a cup each. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe, what are you cooking? 

Just Cook Something! Cheers! Kary!

Here are a couple of interesting and educational sites:
Kitchari Healing Stew, Ayurvedic Kitchari Cleanse 
Ayurveda a Science of Internal Healing

No comments:

Post a Comment