I love fresh pesto and it is really easy to make. I was in the market this week and they had a great selection of fresh basil and I decided to make a batch of fresh pesto. I usually grow my own basil in the spring and summer and keep a batch of pesto on hand for use in a variety of dishes. For example I use pesto with pasta, pizza, Crunchy bread, scramble with eggs and as a marinade for chicken and fish.
Pesto always makes me think of spring, so in the middle of winter it is a nice departure from the heavier comfort foods that we crave. You can create a heart warming pesto recipe with the hope of spring to come. Check back for my pesto chicken, pesto pizza and grilled cheese with pesto, red peppers and chicken sandwich recipes.
• 1/2 cup of olive oil
• 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
• 1/4 cup of walnuts or pine nuts
• 4 cloves of garlic, remove the skin
• 1 cup of fresh basil
• Dash of sugar or honey
• I like to keep walnuts in my refrigerator to keep them fresh and eat as a snack, add to a salad, sprinkle on broccoli, use your imagination
• Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high 2 to 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth
• You can store the pesto in the refrigerator for about a week
Just cook something! Cheers! Kary~