Thanks to Poplar Ridge Organic Farm and their work share program that I participate in, I have an abundance of red onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and hot peppers just waiting to be chopped, diced or grilled.So this morning with my kitchen again over flowing with fresh organic produce I decided to make a batch of salsa. I usually do not include bell peppers in my salsa but with so many ripe peppers available I decided to add them to the mix,
Salsa is not only great with tortilla chips; try it with scrambled eggs, tacos, salads, also
fantastic as a topping for burgers, grilled fish, chicken and pork.
If you have these fresh ingredients available now is the time to dice and chop up your fresh produce and enjoy great salsa. Cheers!
• 8 ripe tomatoes, diced– I had red and yellow roma on hand but any tomatoes will do
• ¼ red onion peeled and diced
• 1 medium size bell pepper, remove seed and dice
• 1 small hot pepper, remove seeds and dice
– Your choice of hot peppers
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried
• ½ fresh lime
• salt and pepper to taste
• In a medium size bowl toss together the tomatoes, red onion, peppers garlic powder, cilantro and squeeze in the fresh lime
– Remove any seeds from the lime
You really can’t go wrong with home made salsa, taste as you go and adjust for your palate.
Serve immediately, however the flavors deepen the longer it sits in the refrigerator.