Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey for Two or More Turkey Breast in the Crook Pot


Update November 2018~ Turkey for two or 6, maybe more with lots of sides...

Most of the time it is the little things in life that we are all thankful for, today it is my crock pot, yep the slow cooker. On Thanksgiving Day we will be dining out with my husbands parents and of course Thanksgiving and it would not be the same without left over Turkey for those hot turkey sandwiches. Since there will only be four of us to enjoy the left over’s I thought a Turkey breast would be easy to cook and provide plenty of turkey for the next day or two. 

My mother in law loves all the sides, and who doesn’t’ so I whipped up a pot of mashed potatoes, gravy, tried a new stuffing recipe, steamed fresh green beans and made cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries., just following the directions on the bag of cranberries. 

Last night my husband Doug and I enjoyed a pre-Thanksgiving feast, now all I have to do is pack up the left over’s for us to enjoy tomorrow night.

Turkey in the Crock Pot just getting started!
I hope everyone has a safe, wonderful thanksgiving, filled with lots of laughter and love.

Safe travels to all. Just Cook Something! 

Cheers! Kary~

Here is one of my recipes for Turkey breast cooked in a crock pot. 

I have several different recipes for cooking a Turkey breast or whole Chicken in the crock pot; yesterday I had a ripe red apple that I needed to use and ¼ cup of Marsala wine. Remember you can always experiment with ingredients, make this your own! 
Ingredients:
•         6 to 7 lb turkey breast (thawed if it was frozen)
–          Consult the cooking instructions for your crock pot to make sure the turkey breast will fit and cook properly
•         1/2 yellow or white onion peeled and chopped~ you can use the whole onion your choice!
•         1 small red apple, peel, remove the core and slice into eight thin slices
•         1/4 cup of water
•         ¼ Marsala wine~Optional I just had this on hand
•         1 Tablespoon dried rosemary or several sprigs of fresh rosemary
•         About a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper
•         Coat the crock pot/slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray  and layer half the choppped       onions and apples on the bottom of the pot
•         Rinse the Turkey breast and place on top of the onions and apples 
•         Add the remaining chopped onions and sliced apple to the cavity or you can put this under          the skin
•         Pour the water and Marsala wine over the Turkey breast
•         Sprinkle the rosemary, salt and pepper on the turkey breast
•         Place the lid on and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours
–          Slow-cooker time may vary. Consult the instructions for your brand of crock pot
•         When done remove the turkey breast to slice (The turkey should be very moist and start to fall off the bone)
To make gravy pour the turkey juice in a cooking pot and over medium heat add 2 to 3 tbsp of flour, whisking as you add the flour. I always add the flour a little at a time; you can always add more to thicken the gravy. Heat and you are ready to serve or make Turkey sandwiches. Enjoy!   

Just cook something! Cheers! Kary~

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe, Karen! I am glad you found me on BlogHer, because I am very glad to make your acquaintance. (Smiling!)

    By the way, I, too, have been out of work a while now (almost 3 years), and I, too, am writing a cookbook. How awesome that we have the same love for creating, cooking and eating!

    ~Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nini,Are you still out there? Miss my Blogher buddies

      Delete