Friday, February 6, 2015

Burn Off That Burger~

Those of you who follow my blog know that I am passionate about encouraging people to learn how to cook healthy meals at home and to embrace a healthy lifestyle.

I tend to be drawn to articles regarding food, health and exercise. Oh and books, I just love to read!
In October 2011 I came across an article in USA TODAY which caught my attention titled “80% of teens underestimate calories in their fast food”.  

 Knowledge is power, so please read on: Burn off that burger and fries!

To burn off a 1,000-calorie meal with exercise, a 150 pound person would have to:
Activity
Hours to work off the calories
Run at 6 mph
1.5
Play basketball
2.0
Dance
3.5
Walk at 3.5 mph
4.0


According to U.S. Obesity Trends National Obesity Trends:
About one-third of U.S. adults (33.8%) are obese.
Approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese.   Source: cdc.gov  and for additional information on other fast food meals take a look at this site Fast Food Facts.

It is imperative that we pay attention to what we eat and the quantity of food we consume.
Just like many of you, on occasion I crave a good burger and fries. I am a firm believer that we should not deprive ourselves of foods that we really enjoy, but we can make smart decisions.

When the craving for beef hits and I am dining out I will order a hamburger without a bun or split my meal with a friend, I can always count on my bff Ms. Karin!  

If grilling at home I purchase local organic hamburger and grill the hamburger “steaks” and serve with fresh salsa, grilled onions and sautéed mushrooms,corn, a green salad, green beans or any fresh vegetable.

If I’m in the mood for a potato I will bake a potato, slice in half, top with a small amount of butter, salt, pepper and cheese, fresh Parmesan, cheddar, bleu cheese or feta, your choice. I then place cooked potato in a baking dish and broil in the oven for 4 or 5 minutes, watch closely so you don’t burn it! I have been known to set-off the fire alarm…I remove the potato when the cheese is light brown and a little crispy, tasty!

So next time you crave a burger or find yourself at the drive thru think about what you are about to eat and how it will affect your body.


Something to think about…… Now I think I will head out for a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment