Monday, March 13, 2017

Asparagus Soup with Coconut Milk

 Last month I posted my take on a recipe for Kitchari Soup from” First for Women’s” magazine January 23, 2017 edition, yep the actual magazine that I picked up at my local grocery store. This edition also included some other recipes, and one page that caught my eye was “FIRST’s top 10 slimming soups”. The “BLOAT BUSTER” Asparagus Dream soup was the first one that I wanted to try. 


Per the magazine “Enjoying Asparagus soup can shrink the belly fast. Credit goes to a compound (asparagine) in the veggie, which prods the kidneys to release trapped fluids from cells for an instant slimming effect.” I did a little research on the web and asparagus acts as a directic which flushes fluids from your boday, here is a great link.

The recipe called for 1 lb. each of green and white asparagus, I had what I thought looked like about 2 lbs. of green asparagus so that’s what I used. When the soup was done, we could really taste the coconut milk, so maybe I had about 1 ½ lbs. of asparagus, because I think if it was a full 2 lbs. the coconut milk would not overwhelm the flavor of the soup. The soup was bland at first but grew on us as we ate it. We shall see how it turns out next time…

Here’s my recipe compared to the Asparagus Dream Soup I found in the Magazine:

What I had on-hand:                                       “First for women Ingredients”
6 Green onions, diced                                      6 shallots
Olive Oil                                                          Olive oil
2 lbs. chopped asparagus                                1 lb. each white and green asparagus
4 cups low sodium veggie broth                       5 cups veggie broth
2 Tbs. lemon juice                                           2 Tbs. lemon juice
¼ cup coconut milk                                          ¼ cup coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste                                 Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. garlic powder

In a large cooking pot sauté the diced onions about a Tbs. of olive oil until they soften, add the chopped asparagus and veggie broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the asparagus is cooked. Remove about ¼ cup of the cooked asparagus and set aside. Blend the soup, if you are using a regular blender be sure to let the soup cool, hot soup expands and will blow the lid off your blender.
Add the lemon juice, coconut and cooked asparagus to the soup, heat and serve.

If you’re not familiar with shallots, they look like a small onion and have a slight garlic flavor, if the green stems are attached they look a little like a green onion.
You can use sweet yellow onions if that is what you have in your pantry, a little stronger than shallots so maybe use ½ of a yellow onion.

Let me know if you make it and what you think.


Just cook something. Cheers! Kary~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment