Thursday, July 19, 2018

Memory of my Brother, a fan of Moroccan food


---  Original Message ----
From: Vegascruzn
To: Ksquiresnc
Sent: Sun Jul 19 2009 2:28 pm
Subject: Check out Cooks.com – Recipes – Moroccan

Cooks.com - Recipes - Moroccan            You might see something you like
                                                                
                                                             Love Douglas

Who knew this would be the last email my brother Douglas would ever send to me. This was the last email that I ever received from my brother Douglas, although never the last message…
Christmas, Idaho 1998???

Douglas left us 9 years ago. He left us too soon at 53 years young. In 1973 we changed High Schools and he would tell people that we were twins and I flunked a grade, for the record he was born February 14th and me in August, clearly not twins! Oh, how I miss his humor, but he can still make me laugh or cry when I think of him or hear a song, watch a movie, TV show or hang out at the beach listening to the surf roll in and out, we do love the ocean!

Douglas is forever in my heart, part of my soul and I feel him with me always, during moments of joy and despair.

You know that I am truly a happy, joyful person, also the cheerleader, the glass not just half full kind of girl, but glass always full!  However, we all have our challenges in this life and when I start to “go down the rabbit hole in my mind” to places best not visited, Douglas is there with all my Guardian Angels pulling me back towards the light.

The significance of the last email met so many things but one was that Douglas loved Moroccan food, also travel and adventure, so when the opportunity was literally dropped in my lap one Thursday afternoon in April by another angel Ms Betty, I said yes to another adventure, packed my bags and was on a flight the following Wednesday night from Charlotte to Madrid, then on to Casablanca, yes, THE Casablanca, “Play it for me Sam” place in Northern Africa!

So today I dedicate this post to my bro Douglas and all my future posts about my amazing, magical adventure to Morocco… Bro, I know you would have loved the Camel ride, getting up at 4:30 am not so much…which I might add my roomy Linda and I almost missed, again thank you Betty!
And it was truly worth getting up to ride on a Dromedary/Camel to see the sun rise over the Western Sahara, truly magical…


And yes, those camels, actually we rode Dromedaries are really really uncomfortable, the good thing was mine was in a good mood and seemed to take to me, no biting!

Stay tuned for my recipes and visit Kongo’s blog, a really fantastic fun writer so click on his link for the most incredible journey, Oh and did I mention an amazing photographer and friend.

It you are still reading my post, we have such short attention spans these days, please take time every day to hug, call, connect with those you love and meet. Stay present in your moment.

“There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called Yesterday and the other is called Tomorrow. Today is the right day to Love, Believe, Do and mostly Live.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

Peace be with you! Hugs, Kary

2 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you Karen. Doug was definitely unforgettable. Your words are so sweet and poignant. I'm so glad I had the chance to know him. One of the best adventures of my childhood was going with him to put soapsuds in this huge fountain. Can't remember where the fountain was but I remember how great Doug was. Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute Karen!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete