Friday, June 7, 2019

Quick and Easy Turkey Chili


We moved into our Mountain Cottage at the end of March. Spring had just started showing a few colors and the air was still cool. I thought Chili would warm us up and my kitchen cabinets were pretty bare of supplies, actually almost non-existent, because why move all those containers of food.  


The first meal I cooked on our, new to me, Bosch Stove fueled by propane was turkey chili. Easy for me to make and I kept it simple in the mist of unpacking, cleaning and trying to make a place for everything in our 1,000 square foot cottage, a little bit of a challenge, but we are making it work!

I had dry seasonings and herbs on-hand but nothing else so I made a quick trip to the grocery store to pick-up what else I would need. 

Here's a really simple and quick Chili: 

Quick Turkey Chili
       Ingredients:
       1/2 medium sweet yellow onion chopped (I find that the sweet yellow onion adds the best flavour and you can always use the whole diced onion, your choice
       1 Green Bell Pepper seeds removed and diced
       1 teaspoon olive oil
       1 pound of ground turkey 
       2 tablespoon chili powder
       2 tablespoons of garlic powder
       1 15 oz of black beans, drain, rinse in colander to remove some of the sodium
    1 15 oz of red kidney beans, drain, rinse in colander to remove some of the sodium
       1 29 oz can of tomato puree
  
   Over medium heat in a large Dutch oven I heated olive oil then sautéed the onions and green peppers until they began to soften, added the ground turkey to the pot, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I cooked it about 15 minutes on medium heat until the turkey started to brown. There was a little grease which I drained then added the black beans, kidney beans and tomato puree. I will add more spices once the chili is cooked if needed. After the chili boiled, I let it simmer for over an hour. The longer you simmer the chili the better the flavor! On my, new to me, stove top the simmer setting is a little high so I moved the pot to a smaller burner to keep the chili from continuously boiling. It was a cold blustery day so the heat from the burners was welcome!
    
I topped the Chili with shredded white cheddar cheese and served it with saltine
crackers. Oh, so yummy and easy. 

Check back for more recipes from my mountain cottage and posts about mountain living. 

Just Cook Something! Cheers~ Kary

No comments:

Post a Comment