Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tomato, Cucumber, Red Onion, Basil & Jalapeno Salad

Every day as I venture out to my patio to water and tend to my garden I can’t wait to see what is ripe and ready to pick. Today tomatoes, jalapenos and basil are just waiting to be harvested, and yesterday I picked up cucumbers, onions, tomatoes and arugula from Poplar Ridge Organic Farm.

With the average temperature of last hovering around 90+ degrees, I am always on the hunt for quick refreshing salads. Here is a tomato salad that I serve as a side dish or to top off tacos, a spicy mix of tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and jalapenos. Cheers!


• Ingredients:
• 2 large tomatoes diced
– Or one cup cherry tomatoes slice in half
• 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced and cut into quarters
• ¼ red onion finely chopped
• ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
• 4 Jalapenos, slice open, remove seeds and chop
• ¼ red onion chopped
Sometimes I add in one of these cheeses; feta, mozzarella, goat, Gorgonzola or blue cheese
• 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar and  ¼ cup olive oil

Directions

• Cut tomatoes into bite size piece
• Peel cucumber and cut into ¼ inch slices then cut into quarters
• Finely chop the red onion
• Rinse, pat dry and chop the basil
• Cut the stems off the jalapenos, slice open remove seeds then finely chop
• Toss all ingredients in a mixing or serving bowl
• Pour the balsamic vinegar, olive oil over the salad and toss until coated
 Remember this is your salad adjust the ingredients as you like, Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment