In support of Food Day I purchased an organic chicken and produce from my local organic farm. Upon returning to my kitchen I pulled out the crock pot, tossed in the chicken along with a cup of water, a couple of sprigs from my rosemary plant, a chopped yellow onion, adding a dash of salt and pepper. Six hours later the chicken was cooked to perfection which I served with roasted sweet potatoes tossed with olive oil, garlic cloves and diced yellow onion.
I will use the chicken broth for chicken soup and yesterday I prepared chicken salad sandwiches with home made bread for tea with my friend Loa. Shop local and just cook something!
Slow cooked and delicious every time!
• 1 Whole Chicken, select the size that will fit in your slow cooker
• 1/4 cup water or orange juice
Every slow cooker will vary so verify amount of liquid required for your slow cooker/crock pot
• 1 small sweet yellow onion chopped or 1 Tablespoon onion powder
• 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh or dried rosemary, about 1 Tablespoon dried Rosemary
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• Crock pot/slow cooker
• Spray the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray
• Rinse the chicken and place in the pot
Yes I am a fan of rinsing off the chicken, then disinfecting the sink area and of course don’t forget to wash your hands!
• Pour the water or orange juice in the pot
• Add the onion, rosemary, salt and pepper
• Place the lid on the slow cooker
• Cook on low heat 7 to 8 hours
Follow the cooking instructions for your slow cooker; times may vary depending on the brand
The chicken will fall right off the bone. I served it with Brown Rice, Broccoli and toasted walnuts, yummy! Or top with Mango Salsa, your favorite hot sauce or salsa. A side salad, baked potato, green beans, broccoli or brown rice, the choices are endless!
Just cook something! Cheers! Kary~