Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chicken in the Crock Pot

In support of Food Day I purchased an organic chicken and produce from my local organic farm.  Upon returning to my kitchen I pulled out the crock pot, tossed in the chicken along with a cup of water, a couple of sprigs from my rosemary plant, a chopped yellow onion, adding a dash of salt and pepper. Six hours later the chicken was cooked to perfection which I served with roasted sweet potatoes tossed with olive oil, garlic cloves and diced yellow onion.
 
Chicken from the Crock Pot, Broccoli and Brown Rice
I will use the chicken broth for chicken soup and yesterday I prepared chicken salad sandwiches with home made bread for tea with my friend Loa. Shop local and just cook something!

Whole Chicken
 Slow cooked and delicious every time!  
Ingredients:               
•         1 Whole Chicken, select the size that will fit in your slow cooker
•         1/4 cup water or orange juice
Every slow cooker will vary so verify amount of liquid required for your slow cooker/crock pot
•         1 small sweet yellow onion chopped or 1 Tablespoon onion powder
•         3 or 4 sprigs of fresh or dried rosemary, about 1 Tablespoon dried Rosemary
•         1/4 teaspoon salt
•         ½ teaspoon pepper
•         Crock pot/slow cooker
 Cooking Instructions:
•         Spray the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray
•         Rinse the chicken and place in the pot
Yes I am a fan of rinsing off the chicken, then disinfecting the sink area and of course don’t forget to wash your hands!
•         Pour the water or orange juice in the pot
•         Add the onion, rosemary, salt and pepper
•         Place the lid on the slow cooker
•         Cook on low heat 7 to 8 hours
Follow the cooking instructions for your slow cooker; times may vary depending on the brand
 The chicken will fall right off the bone. I served it with Brown Rice, Broccoli and toasted walnuts, yummy! Or top with Mango Salsa, your favorite hot sauce  or salsa.  A side salad, baked potato, green beans, broccoli or brown rice, the choices are endless! 

Enjoy!

Just cook something! Cheers! Kary~




No comments:

Post a Comment