Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chicken Soup Egg Drop Optional

Chicken Soup ~ Egg Drop Optional

There is nothing like a warm bowl of chicken soup. And sometimes, as I sip from a bowl of  soup I am transported back to the warmth of my Mom’s kitchen, nibbling on a grilled cheese sandwich made especially for me dripping with yummy cheddar, it’s almost like I can feel my mom’s warmth all around me.  Or maybe its one of those days when you’re feeling a little not like yourself and nothing, I mean nothing but a bowl of chicken soup will do.

Earlier this week as the Siberian cold front was bearing down on us I was again feeling a desire to warm my body and soul with a soothing bowl of chicken soup.

Last time I sent my hubby Doug to the store for chicken soup he returned
empty handed. He told me that after reading the labels on several packages, like the good man that he is and checking the sodium content, sugar etc., surprise surprise the sodium content was from 650mg to over 700 mg  per serving. Yuck, who needs all that sodium.

 Needless to say I did not find any of this soul warming soup in my pantry, but what I did find was a carton of organic low sodium chicken broth and a carton of organic low sodium vegetable broth. I try to keep my pantry stocked because who wants to pry themselves out of a cozy and yes warm abode to purchase one container chicken broth when you can substitute the vegetable broth for the cicken . Yes I am the queen of substitution!

Since I was set on chicken soup and it had been a really long time since I made chicken broth, I first checked my recipes for chicken or turkey soup. Hmmm I did not have a whole chicken to make fresh stock but I did have chicken tenders in the fridge.

I checked my favorite cookbooks, hmm nothing I could use. Next I booted up the laptop, no I do not have a tablet but would love the new surface pro, if anyone is listening.

My first stop for a recipe was to visit Carrie over at  Delicious Organic, I remembered seeing a post for chicken soup on her website and yep I was right she has a great recipe. It looked like I could adapt her recipe by making a few changes.

Here’s what I had in my pantry and fridge:

1 Quart Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth – 60 mg of sodium per cup
1 Quart Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth- 140 mg of sodium per cup
2 Stalks of celery, chopped ~ You can add a couple more if you desire
1 pound package of Chicken Tenders or 4 Chicken Breasts
            I had a package of Chicken Tenders in the Fridge
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 eggs ~ Optional
Salt and pepper to taste

Diced green onions for garnish is great, however I did not have any when I made this batch.

In a large sauce pan bring the Broth to a boil, add the Chicken Tenders and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Maybe because it is so cold the chicken seemed to take longer so I let the soup simmer for another 15 minutes, then I removed the cooked chicken with a slotted spoon and shredded the chicken, set aside.  If you want pasta noodles add 1 cup and cook per instructions on the package at this time.

If you are adding the eggs, crack the eggs in a small bowl, whisk then add to the pot and stir, the eggs cook rather quickly, a minute or two. Add the chicken back to the pot and Soups on!

Yes that simple and you will never purchase that dried packaged Chicken Noodle soup again. Makes about 6 servings, maybe four when hubby digs in…

What is your favorite soup?
  
Here’s Carrie’s new cookbook The Grain-Free Family Table  which I have been featuring on my blog . I was selected as a Book Ambassador to review and post on my blog  Cookingwithkary. Check it out!

 Just cook something! Cheers! Kary~



No comments:

Post a Comment