My basil plant is thriving and it is the first of June, time to make pesto!
Yesterday I made a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich with pesto as spread, I usually use mayonnaise, it was scrumptious. Check out some of my recipes with pesto: Pesto Lasagna, Pizza, Crunchy Bread, Pesto Chicken Sandwich, scramble with eggs and as a marinade for chicken and fish.
This makes a about 8 ounces
• 1 cup of olive oil
• 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
• 1/2 cup of walnuts or pine nuts
• 6 cloves of garlic, remove the skin add depending on how much you like garlic
• 2 cups of fresh basil; about 2 handfuls
• Dash of sugar or honey
• I like to keep walnuts in my refrigerator to keep them fresh; eat as a snack, add to a salad, sprinkle on broccoli, use your imagination
• Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 2 to 4 minutes until the mixture is smooth
• You can store the pesto in the refrigerator for about a week or freeze